”Composer Esa Pietilä is known as a fearless musical visionary. His repertory is extremely versatile, including collaborations with classical orchestras. Moreover, he has brought not only Finnish but also international critics to their knees” – Finnish Jazz Federation
Pietilä has composed pieces for different instrument set-ups varying from solo instrument recital pieces up to works for larger groups and orchestras. He has always been interested in writing music for mixed combination of instruments and genres – see complete list of works with the publisher infos below. There is music for symphony orchestra, chamber groups, jazz groups, for big band, saxophone quartet, solo pieces, experimental pieces for live-electronics & tape with soloist. etc. Mixing improvisation and composed music has always been an interest of his too.
One of Pietilä´s largest works is a 40 minute concerto “Graffiti Play” for Avanti! chamber orchesta and contemporary jazz trio. The premiere was on 5.10.2014 with conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen and Esa Pietilä Trio.
To name few other latest premieres e.g. Asterion (2014) an 18 minute piece performed & commissioned by Zagros ensamble (8 musicians) with Esa as the soloist. In 2016/17 saw light such pieces as HUNT! for saxophone & percussion quintet (premiered by Esa & Osuma percussion ensemble ensemble), Hyperhelium, for chamber sextet & Tenor Saxophone (premiered by Tampere Raw & Esa), Brisk, for cello & marimba (premiered by Eeva Rysä & Kazutata Morita), Uirapuru, for male choir and Tenor saxophone (premiered by Akademiska Sångföreningen & Esa), Pulses, Waves & Dialoques, a piece for Tenor Saxophone & string orchestra (premiered with St. Mikkeli strings & Esa).
2018 presented premieres e.g. Blazing Flames for tenor saxophone & string quartet (premiered by string quartet KAMUS & Esa), a solo piano pice Three Strides of Light (premiered by Risto-Matti Marin).
2019 & 2010 presented premieres of Fantasy for tenor saxophone & church organ and Fata Morgana for harpsichord solo.
Asterion for vl, viola, vlc, fl, cb, clar/bass clar, horn, pno, with Zagros ensamble
scores and sheet music available from Fennica Gehrman & Musicfinland
- Double concerto for violin, tenor saxophone ja chamber orchestra, 35 min (2018). Fennica Gehrman F.P. TBA
- Pulses, Waves & Dialoques, for tenor saxophone & string orchestra (min. 4-3-2-2-1), 18 min (2017) Fennica Gehrman F.P 2017
- Graffiti Play, for contemporary jazz-trio (ts, bs, drs) chamber orchestra (fl, picc, ob, cl, cl/bcl, bsn/cbsn, trp in Bb, 2 hn in F, trb, perc, strings (min. 4-4-4-2-1), 40 min. (2013) Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2014
For chamber ensemble & duo:
- Blazing Flames for tenor saxophone & string quartet, 28 min. (2018). Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2018
- Zephyros flute sonata, F.P TBA
- Glow for tenor saxophone, acc., perc & live-electronics, 16min. (2018). Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2018
- Hyperhelium, for 6-piece chamber group (fl, cl, vl, vlc, cb, piano) & tenor saxophone, 18 min. (2016) Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2016
- Brisk, for cello sellolle and marimba,12 min. (2016) Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2016
- HUNT!, for tenor saxophone & percussion quintet (bass dr/FX sampler, crot, tam-tam, tenor dr, vib, w.b., t.b., doundoun, met pan, marimba 4.3. oct, marimba 5 oct, drum-set) 20 min. (2016) Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2016
- The Wind Wants, Woodwind Quintet, (fl, ob, cl, bsn, hn in F) 16 min (2017) Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2021
- Seven In Amazonas, recorder quartet (sopr./F bass, tenor, tenor, Sub Bass) 18 min. (2018) Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2021
- Lake of Clang, for saxophone quartet (s-a-t/rec, brs) 12 min. (2010) Musicfinland F.P. 2010
- Seppo´s Hammer, for chamber strings (vl 1&2, vla, vc 1&2) & jazz quintet (ts & tp or as & voc, pno, ac bass, drs) , 20 min. (2010) Musicfinland F.P. 2011
- People People, for voc. (with lyrics), chamber strings (vl 1&2, vla, vlc) and jazz trio (pno, ac. bass, drs), 11 min. (2010) Musicfinland F.P. 2011
- Mirage, for string quartet (vl 1&2, vla, vlc), 12 min. (2006) Musicfinland F.P. 2006
- Three Strides of Light, for solo piano, 14 min. (2009) Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2018
- Fire! for tenor saxophone solo 12 min. (2018). Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2018
- Fata Morgana, for solo harpsichord, F.P. 2019
- House Of Bells. for solo piano, 9 min. (2006) Musicfinland F.P. 2006
- Uirapuru, for tenor saxophone & male choir (40 voices and up), 11 min. (2017) Fennica Gehrman F.P. 2017
For organ & saxophone:
- Triptych for tenor saxophone & church organ, 18 min. Musicfinland, F.P. 2016
- Fantasy for tenor saxophone & church organ, 16 min Fennica Gehrman F.P. TBA
For Big Band:
- Big Fun, for 12- piece jazz ensemble (any instruments), 30 min. (2014) Musicfinland F.P. 2014
- Turms, for Big Band, 14 min (2000) Musicfinland F.P. in 2000
- Labyrinth, for Big Band, 9 min. Musicfinland F.P. in 2000
- Code Red, for Big Band, 7 min. Musicfinland F.P. in 1998
- Before Moon, for Big Band, 7 min. (1998) Musicfinland F.P. In 1996
- Tricks, for Big Band, 14 min. (1996) Musicfinland F.P. in 1996
- various works for saxophone quartet