”Pietilä´s performance of my concerto was sovereign” – Kalevi Aho
In 2016 Pietilä premiered new Tenor Saxophone Concerto from famous Finnish composer Kalevi Aho, who composed and dedicated the concerto to Pietilä. in 2014 Esa had the privilege to perform his own concerto “Graffiti Play” for saxophone, improvising contemporary jazz trio and chamber orchestra with one of the leading conductors in the world, Esa-Pekka Salonen and Avanti! Chamber Orchestra. In 2013 Pietilä premiered a saxophone concerto by Eero Hämeenniemi. Eero´s concerto “Grounds” was performed by Se ensemble with famous conductor Santtu Matias Rouvali. The piece was also composed and dedicated to Pietilä, taking advantage of Esa´s improvisational skills.
Pietilä has a mission to premiere new saxophone concertos and other larger scale works for saxophone & orchestra. On the next years, there will be more performances of such works from Finnish composers, from Esa himself and others. Alongside this Esa is interested on receiving suggestions from composers and conductors to perform and premiere works on the field of today´s contemporary music.
- Tenor Saxophone Concerto (Kalevi Aho), Sinfonietta size orchestra, 35 min. (fl, picc, oboe, clar, bassclar, bassoon/contrabassoon, 2 horns, harp, perc, strings 66442 (min). (Double) F.P. with Pori Sinfonietta (cond. Jan Söderblom) & Lappeenranta City Orchestra (cond. Tibor Boganuyi)
- Graffity Play (Esa Pietilä), concerto for Chamber orchestra & Tenor Saxophone, 35 min. (fl, picc, oboe, clar, bassclar, bassoon/contrabassoon, 2 horns, trpt, trb, perc, strings 66442 (min) & contemporary improvising jazz bass player & drummer. F.P. 2014 by Esa Pietilä, Esa-Pekka Salonen & Avanti! Chamber Orchestra
- Blazing Flames (Pietilä), for tenor saxophone & string quartet, 28 min. (2018). F.P. 2018 with Kamus String Quartet
- Pulses, Waves & Dialoques, concerto for tenor saxophone & string orchestra (min. 4-3-2-2-1), 18. min. F.P 2017 with St. St. Michel Strings, cond. Hossein Pishkar
- Grounds (Eero Hämeennniemi ) for chamber orchestra & tenor saxophone. (picc/fl,oboe, clar, bassoon, horn, bassoon, trpt, trb, tba, 3 perc, pno, 44421 strings, 25 min., F.P. 2013 by Esa Pietilä, Santtu-Matias Rouvali & Se Ensamble
- Hyperhelium (Pietilä) 18 min., fl, vl, clar, vlc, ac. bs, pno & Tenor saxophone soloist. Premiered by Tampere Raw Sextet & Esa Pietilä, 2016
- HUNT! (Pietilä), 27 min. for percussion Quintet & tenor Saxophone. Premiered by OSUMA percussion ensemble Ensemble & Esa Pietilä, 2016
- Asterion (Pietilä), 18 min., for tenor saxophone & 8-piece chamber group (fl, cl/bscl, vl, vla, vlc, cb, hn in F, piano), 18 min. (2014) F.P. 2014 with Zagros Ensemble
- various chamber group pieces for mixed setups… ask for more here