Esa Pietilä performs as a soloist for orchestras and contemporary chamber groups. In 2016 Pietilä premiered new Tenor Saxophone Concerto from famous Finnish composer Kalevi Aho, who composed and dedicated the concerto to Pietilä. in 2014 Esa had the privilege to perform with one of the leading conductors in the world, Esa-Pekka Salonen with whom and Avanti! Chamber Orchestra Esa premiered his own concerto “Graffiti Play” for saxophone, improvising contemporary jazz trio and chamber orchestra. In 2013 Pietilä premiered a saxophone concerto by Eero Hämeenniemi. Eero´s concerto “Grounds” was performed by Se ensemble with famous conductor Santtu Matias Rouvali. The piece was also composed an d dedicated to Pietilä, taking advantage also of Esa´s improvisational skills.
Pietilä has a “mission” to premiere new saxophone concertos and other larger scale works for saxophone & orchestra. On the next years, there will be performances of such works from Finnish composers, from Esa himself and others. He is also interested on receiving suggestions from composers and conductors to perform and premiere various works from the field of today´s contemporary music.
– Tenor Saxophone Concerto (Kalevi Aho), double premiere by Esa Pietilä with two Finnish orchestras 10.3.2016 & 17.3.2016. Sinfonietta size orchestra. (fl, picc, oboe, clar, bassclar, bassoon/contrabassoon, 2 horns, harp, perc, strings 66442 (min)
– “Graffity Play” (by Esa Pietilä), a Concerto for Chamber orchestra & Tenor Saxophone. (fl, picc, oboe, clar, bassclar, bassoon/contrabassoon, 2 horns, trpt, trb, perc, strings 66442 (min) & contemporary improvising jazz bass player & drummer. First performance, oct. 2014 by Esa Pietilä, Esa-Pekka Salonen & Avanti! Chamber Orchestra
– Saxophone concerto “Grounds” by Eero Hämeennniemi for chamber orchestra & tenor saxophone. (picc/fl,oboe, clar, bassoon, horn, bassoon, trpt, trb, tba, 3 perc, pno, 44421 strings (min). First performance, dec. 2013 by Esa Pietilä, Santtu-Matias Rouvali & Se Ensamble
-Hyperhelium (18 min.), fl, vl, clar, vlc, ac. bs, pno & Tenor saxophone soloist. Premiered by Tampere Raw Sextet & Esa Pietilä, 2016
– HUNT! (Esa Pietilä), for percussion Quintet & tenor Saxophone. Premiered by OSUMA Ensemble & Esa Pietilä, 2016
– various chamber group pieces for mixed setups… ask for more here